The Chaser To Make US Debut.

Go down

The Chaser To Make US Debut.

Post by Vi on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 am

News.com.au

AUSTRALIA'S pre-eminent mischief makers,The Chaser comedy crew, have cracked the US TV market.

American cable TV channel G4, available in 62 million homes across the US, has bought the American broadcast rights to the The Chaser's War on Everything.

The show will make its US debut, ironically, on Australia Day.

The channel targets male viewers aged between 17 and 36 years and will air episodes already shown to Australian audiences.

G4 is billing the series as an "ambush comedy show" and the first episode features the Trojan Horse and Airport Security skits along with their interview with Hugh Jackman.

Most Americans had their first taste of the Chaser comedy style in September, 2007, when members of the team, including Chas Licciardello who dressed as al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, drove a fake motorcade through the heavily-guarded security zone for the APEC summit in Sydney.

The stunt made headlines across the world, including the US where reports on the breach appeared on that night's major TV news bulletins.

As much as i want and as much as they DESERVE to be successful in America, they won't. Its just ridiculous. NOTHING will break us over there. Rolling Eyes

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Chaser To Make US Debut.

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:59 pm

really depends on how much advertising the channel does before hand.

HBO didn't do dick to promote SHH. they even admitted that it was low key, probably because Chris didn't want to make a loud scene which i don't blame him, but you lose a lot of potential audience if they don't know about it. I just happened to be waiting for a movie to air and there was a super quick 20 second "commercial" on HBO before the movie started. I lucked out.

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Cool, they should air it in the UK too. You never know The Chaser could be a 'sleeper' hit. This is what SHH was like in the UK, I don't think the BBC promoted it enough either. It got like average viewing figures during it's first episode and then word quickly spread by word of mouth and recommendations so I started watching it during the second episode and the viewing audience kept on growing throughout its run making it a hit. But I saw pics of SHH billboards and posters in the US, maybe that was just in certain parts of cities but it still looked like more promotion went on in the US compared to the UK.

Top Summer Heights High Quotes
Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Ja'mie: I love your bins, they're so random.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:44 pm

they'd probably promote more in big areas (LA, NYC, DC, etc) but us med. sized cities get left out.

we're the biggest city in Southwest Virginia-give us some credit for that! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:01 am

Thats the problem! The companies DO NOT promote them enough. Brand new shows like SHH (staring a relative unknown actor overseas like Chris) need all the promoting and advertising it can get so it can gain an audience. Seriously think about it, more people are gonna choose to tune into a show that has had hype built up around it. They wanna "see what all the fuss is about". Opposed to tuning into a show they really don't know anything about.

Its the same with music. The Veronicas are ONLY getting mainstream play in the US finally after trying for soo many years because us fans kept pushing radio stations over there to play them and voting for them on iTunes etc non stop. Finally its happened.

Thats why im uploading all of Chris's skits on Youtube and posting around my channel on all websites i'm involved with so people will hopefully check out the videos and be interested in buying his DVDs.

Its us fans that break it for them, not those pathetic network people who only care about $$$ and with no promotions or advertising they aren't gonna get any $$$.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 pm

if you can go viral on the internet, you don't need any outside advertising. I bet if he made a show for the webz, he'd get some massive exposure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 am

Niccicola wrote:they'd probably promote more in big areas (LA, NYC, DC, etc) but us med. sized cities get left out.

we're the biggest city in Southwest Virginia-give us some credit for that! Cool

And the first American colony. Virginia Dare was the first person ever born there.
Camm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJayne on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Theres so much rubbish on British TV, and when they do get something good they hide it away and no-one knows about it! I only found SHH by accident - I didnt see any promotion for it in the UK really except for one radio interview with Chris, but that was near the end of the series.

I think things like YouTube really get people to watch something new and then they'll go out and buy it - you're definately doing good promotion work for Chris Violet!!
SarahJayne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks. He deserves it so much. I've had the channel up since late December and its already got over 7,600 views. So thats really good i reckon!

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 pm

SarahJayne wrote:Theres so much rubbish on British TV, and when they do get something good they hide it away and no-one knows about it! I only found SHH by accident - I didnt see any promotion for it in the UK really except for one radio interview with Chris, but that was near the end of the series.

I think things like YouTube really get people to watch something new and then they'll go out and buy it - you're definately doing good promotion work for Chris Violet!!

Don't worry, that happens in Australia to with UK stuff, like Father Ted was shown on Tuesday morning at 1.30, Spaced (best UK comedy bar none!) series 2 on Sundays at 12am, Mitchell and Webb Look on ABC2 on Thursday nights, which is a digital TV-only station and not everybody has a Digital TV boxset.
Camm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:16 pm

SarahJayne wrote:Theres so much rubbish on British TV, and when they do get something good they hide it away and no-one knows about it! I only found SHH by accident - I didnt see any promotion for it in the UK really except for one radio interview with Chris, but that was near the end of the series.

Exactly! The BBC and other British channels does frustrate me sometimes but you got to hand it to them when they do air brilliant shows once in a while. It's just the way they go about promotion and executing these shows which can be questionable at times. But this is where us fans come in, things like YouTube are great for getting the message across and yes Violet has done a great job promoting the show Very Happy

Top Summer Heights High Quotes
Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Ja'mie: I love your bins, they're so random.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:48 pm

G4 seems to be one of those channels where if you aren't already watching, then you're never gonna see advertising from it. I only know of the channel because I randomly came across them showing Real Genius one day, which made them the "OMG GREATEST CHANNEL EVAR" in my eyes. Not a damn clue what type of shows they air, though. I think they're a guys network, though? So airing an Aussie program on there might definitely be hit or miss.
Karen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down