Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them...

2 posters

:: Politics

Go down

When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them... Empty When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them...

Post by Vi Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Okay, time for some serious discussion (hope you're all up for it.) Is this just politics or serious discussion? Maybe change this section title or something. Anyway...

I was reading this article about the bushfires on the Herald Sun website today at work, and some of the comments really disgusted me.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25198389-661,00.html

Comments like:

"We donated to the bushfire appeal to help rebuild not only homes but to regenerate the entire bushfire area so one day it would return to what it once was. If i want to see what progress is being made i don't need permission from the residents."

"The gawkers have every right to gawk, as afterall these gawkers are the ones that the local residential businesses want to spend their money there. Many local businesses are screaming for tourists to come in so if these gawkers are also looking then whats the problem, do the locals think or expect the gawkers will be wearing masks!!"

"Don't forget many of these "gawkers" are people who opened their hearts and wallets for the victims. This is the biggest civilian disaster in out history and it is natural for people to want to get a first hand look. TV and still pictures cannot convey the full devastation, and by seeing it first hand it makes us more aware of the plight of the survivors. It also strengthens our resolve to find out "why" and come up with ways to prevent such a re occurrence. Of course some of the "gawkers" will be just that. Most will be filled with horror and greater compassion at your plight."

Personally i think they need to GTFO and mind their own business. I understand human curiosity but Jesus, let these people grieve first. The towns aren't going to be built back up overnight. Theres plenty of time to go have a look....if you have to.

The point of this thread is though, when do you think people's "rights" get the better of them? I mean just because they DONATED money, key word, DONATED, i believe it does NOT give the "right" to go do as they please in situations like this. That was never in the "fine print" when they went to donate.

Agree/Disagree?

DISCUSS. Very Happy
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them... Empty Re: When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them...

Post by Donna.♥ Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Well, yeah... I agree that it sounds like they're using the fact that they donated money as an "excuse" to be able to gawk. It's kind of a bit intrusive the way that they're protesting that they should be allowed to go have a look. And with the last quote, does that person think that humans can only ever understand what someone else is going through if we go and have a look at their pain, aren't they satisfied with the pictures on TV... hmm...
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them... Empty Re: When People's "Rights" Get The Better Of Them...

Post by Vi Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:36 pm

They need to put themselves in the residents shoes. I'm sure they wouldn't like it if a bunch of strangers came by and walked around the remains of their home, taking photos and saying stupid shit like "gosh i'm so glad i don't live in the bush, that would suck" (cause believe me, thats the kind of shit they'd be saying, without even thinking really), while you're hugging your loved one's crying and comforting one another. They need to show some bloody respect. Get a freaking life and find something else to do with your time then annoy these poor people with your presence. I didn't even think for one second when i donated my money that i was entitled to "free passes" to witness the devastation caused by these fires, why these people think this, i do not know...
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down