Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Musical Theatre thread.

+2
Chrissy
Whitney
6 posters

:: Other

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Musical Theatre thread. Empty Musical Theatre thread.

Post by Whitney Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:07 pm

The long awaited thread has now arrived! Well, long awaited by those of us who fancy musical theater quite a bit. Smile

Mr G. and Ricky Wong would be proud.
Whitney
Whitney

https://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=566468044

Back to top Go down

Musical Theatre thread. Empty Re: Musical Theatre thread.

Post by Chrissy Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:13 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Here ya go, Whit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqe9Y3wM28g

why can't i embed it in my post?? argh... anyway there's the link!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:59 pm

I'm so glad we have a thread to discuss musical theatre. Thanks Whitney for setting it up. I read that you majored in Musical Theatre right? Please feel free to tell us more about the type of productions you're doing and hope to do in the future Very Happy

So my love of musicals started back in 2004 when I went to see Mamma Mia having only seen a few plays and pantomimes before then. It was so much fun and I was eager to continue going to the West End to see musicals (which can be quite expensive especially if you want to get good seats!). Luckily my close friends love musicals too so we've been meeting up to go to musicals when we can. It's another great way of meeting up since some of my friends study outside of London so we may meet up to go to shows for people's birthday's etc (e.g. my 20th birthday gift was to see Joseph the musical from front row centre seats, a group of us surprised one of my friends with tickets to see Avenue Q a couple of years ago and last Saturday we went to see Hairspray for another friend's 21st birthday).

So far my favourite musical is the Lion King! We saw it from front row centre seats and I was absolutely in awe of all the costumes and set design. Very enjoyable show. 'Wicked' is another great musical as is 'Fame'. The two musicals I really want to see are what seem to be the 'classics'- Les Miserables (I always seem to be busy when people want to see it and it's been around for such a long time in London) and Phantom of the Opera Very Happy

I'm intrigued by 'Hair' since it seems to be quite popular on Broadway but I don't think it's on in the West End yet Smile
SmileAWhile
SmileAWhile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:05 am

First off, Whitney- Awesome clips. I gotta go find some of my faves now! I don't know why i can't get them to embed in my posts though!! Argh, i'll try again.

And yes, Smile!! LION KING!!! So amazing, so beautiful, that music really gets me! I love any kind of African drumming and that show has the most amazing singers! Spring Awakening just opened recently in London, yes? Definitely go see it, it's not a happy feel good kinda show, but the music and choreography are amazing. And it's very, very moving. I just saw mamma Mia! again with my family, i love the music, but I found the stage show kinda blah. Maybe because I saw the movie first?? And it's so great that you have a group of friends to go see shows with! I'm going to try to see a show a month from now on, if I can afford it or maybe more. Do you have rush tickets in London? Its a great way to get cheap seats on the day of the show. Have you seen Rent? Also changed the entire face of Broadway in the 90s. AMAZING.

Les Miz is probably my favorite of the classics. I also loooooove Miss Saigon.

I've been going to shows since I was a very little girl, I saw Annie when I was 3 and stood on my chair and sang along LOL. Now, 30 years later here I am still obsessing over musical theatre haha!
I also majored in theatre in college, but I always kinda knew i didn't want to perform forever. I loved it in college, but I was much more interested in putting the show together and watching it than actually having to get up there! But I obsess over people who can really really sing and dance... i mean, I can hold my own, but i got nothing on some of these kids today, the BELT on some of these girls is INSANE!!

And girls, I am being totally serious..... As long as I am in NYC, you are more than welcome to stay with me in my apt and we'll go see some BROADWAY SHOWS!!!!!!
Very Happy

Now to try to find some clips......
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks so much Chrissy for the info. I just did a quick google search of 'Spring Awakening' and apparently it was on in the West End a few months ago but it finished its run soon afterwards Sad

Yes I heard about a procedure to get tickets on the day of the show but I haven't tried it yet but I will look into it since it's definitely a cheaper option. No, I haven't seen Rent yet but I've heard great things about it.

I'd love to visit NYC sometime and see musical theatre shows on Broadway! Hopefully one day in the not too distant future Very Happy

Yes I'll get searching on YouTube for clips as well.
SmileAWhile
SmileAWhile

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:06 pm

The Hair revival changed my life. I love it so much. I was recently on a train with Steel Burkhardt, who had filled in as Berger the night I saw the show. I felt slightly awkward having seen him naked and all, lol.

The first musical I ever saw was Funny Girl when I was 4 years old. I was immediately transfixed and I think I knew at that moment that was what I wanted to do in life. My first Broadway show was Will Rogers Follies at age 11. I'll never forget that experience.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Chrissy, to post a video, copy & paste the Youtube video's URL, then click on the film strip button (located above) and paste it within there.

Yes, of course. This thread needed to be created. I found myself constantly re-visiting musical theater matters, so when Chrissy pointed out that a musical theater thread needed to be made, I jumped right on it! Didn't want to bore the others through the various other threads. haha. Yes, Ves, I recently graduated from college and did major in musical theater Smile
At the risk of coming across as Mr G, musical theater is genuinely "my calling". Haha. My family is very musical, so from an early age I was influenced and fell in love with it. I have always been exposed to it, and have been very fortunate to have a father who is incredably supportive of my career choice. When I was little, I use to create "mini-musicals" and perform them for family and friends. Haha.

Ves, that's truly awesome that you often see shows in the West End. I, as well saw "Mamma Mia" and "Les Miserables" at the West End in 2004! They were both spectacular. As for the "Lion King"..my goodness, that show is phenomenal, to say the least. I agree, Chrissy, it's music gets to me as well. My favorite song from the production is "They Live In You". Gives me chills everytime. Although I do love "Endless Night" as well. The opener (Circle Of Life) is a given. It's just a great musical, it really is. As for "Wicked", it genuinely is one of my favorite musicals. My friend was in the Los Angeles cast, so I was able to see it various times Smile

Chrissy, thank you tremendously for the generous offer! That would be completely AMAZING if we ventured out there and saw Broadway shows together. I would simply die! Very Happy
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:25 am

Karona wrote:The Hair revival changed my life. I love it so much. I was recently on a train with Steel Burkhardt, who had filled in as Berger the night I saw the show. I felt slightly awkward having seen him naked and all, lol.

The first musical I ever saw was Funny Girl when I was 4 years old. I was immediately transfixed and I think I knew at that moment that was what I wanted to do in life. My first Broadway show was Will Rogers Follies at age 11. I'll never forget that experience.

He's a doll. I love you I met him through a friend a couple of years ago, too! So sweet. LOL about seeing him naked. He's sexy, I was like Heeeeeyyy! I was trying to peek @ Will Swenson but he was strategically placed behind someone, dammit! hahaha, I'm such a perv! I haven't seen Gavin as Claude yet, I'm afraid I might miss my Jon. But I loooove Gavin, too. He was so wonderful in Thoroughly Modern Millie!

Yes, I couldn't be happier about this thread!! And the offer totally stands, if anybody is in the city, lets please go see some shows!!!

More favorites!:

And the sound quality isn't great on this one, but it's the original cast of Rent when it was brand spankin' new on the Tonys (which is Broadway's big award show)

And of of my favorite songs of all time... "I did not live until today, how can I live when we are parted? Tomorrow you'll be worlds away, and yet with you my world has started..." Crying or Very sad

And because he's SO DAMN CUTE:

Very Happy
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 am

I get quite giddy when visiting this thread. Haha. :b

Chrissy, "One Day More" is an incredably beautiful song. I as well completely love it. Thank you for the clips! they were wonderful. Jonathan Groff is one sexy, talented beast. Yes, I have heard Gavin does an excellent job as well, in HAIR. I truly hope to see it soon. It's a must. I was able to attend RENT, when it ventured out here on a national tour a few months ago (Anthony Wrapp and Adam Pascal were both in it!) so it was fascinating to see the originals on stage. I was able to meet them at the stage door as well, and they were lively and sweet fellows!

Are you ladies familiar with Jason Robert Brown's compositions? I absolutely LOVE "Parade" and "The Last 5 Years". The music is captivating and moving, while the lyrics are incredably accurate and heartfelt. Pure amazingness.
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 am

Whitney wrote:I get quite giddy when visiting this thread. Haha. :b

Chrissy, "One Day More" is an incredably beautiful song. I as well completely love it. Thank you for the clips! they were wonderful. Jonathan Groff is one sexy, talented beast. Yes, I have heard Gavin does an excellent job as well, in HAIR. I truly hope to see it soon. It's a must. I was able to attend RENT, when it ventured out here on a national tour a few months ago (Anthony Wrapp and Adam Pascal were both in it!) so it was fascinating to see the originals on stage. I was able to meet them at the stage door as well, and they were lively and sweet fellows!

Are you ladies familiar with Jason Robert Brown's compositions? I absolutely LOVE "Parade" and "The Last 5 Years". The music is captivating and moving, while the lyrics are incredably accurate and heartfelt. Pure amazingness.

Aw, you must've seen my friend Caren!!! She was in Hair with JG too, and one of my big BWay connections hahaha!

She is a ridiculously talented woman.

I'm getting sooooooo excited about the March for Equality in DC..... I'm marching with an organization called Broadway Impact, run by none other than Gavin Creel!

I'm going to go and buy some rainbow ribbon and make a headband and put the initials of everyone I love that cannot legally get married all over my tee shirt. I'll take lots of pics!

And can I say that since we've started this thread I have not stopped listening to my musicals.... I am currently playing the London cast of Les Miz on HEAVY ROTATION.

So, What is the last show everyone has seen? And what is ideally next on your list!?

My last musical was Mamma Mia!, and I would really like to go see either Wicked (never seen it!) or Next to Normal.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 pm

Chrissy wrote:

Aw, you must've seen my friend Caren!!! She was in Hair with JG too, and one of my big BWay connections hahaha!

She is a ridiculously talented woman.

I must of done so then, and yes--it was a very talented performance!

Chrissy wrote:I'm getting sooooooo excited about the March for Equality in DC..... I'm marching with an organization called Broadway Impact, run by none other than Gavin Creel!

I'm going to go and buy some rainbow ribbon and make a headband and put the initials of everyone I love that cannot legally get married all over my tee shirt. I'll take lots of pics!

Chrissy, this is truly fantastic! If I could do so, I would definitely attend as well. Seriously. Those closest to me are gay, so I would of loved to have gone and supported such an amazing cause. I'll be there in spirit, through you, love Very Happy
do take pictures, and please let us know how this goes.

Chrissy wrote:And can I say that since we've started this thread I have not stopped listening to my musicals.... I am currently playing the London cast of Les Miz on HEAVY ROTATION.

So, What is the last show everyone has seen? And what is ideally next on your list!?

My last musical was Mamma Mia!, and I would really like to go see either Wicked (never seen it!) or Next to Normal.

The last show I saw was "Spamalot" (which I completely love) and next on the list is "Parade", which I will be seeing sometime this month. I'm incredable enthused, you don't even know. The songs, "Old Red Hills of Home" and "All the Wasted Time" are completely brilliant.

Next to Normal looks incredable. My roommate has the soundtrack, and based on performance clips, is looks awesome.
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:27 pm

If I don't include the ones I've worked at, the last show I saw was Hair. There are so many shows I want/need to see, but my schedule makes that impossible unless I take off from work. And I can't really afford to do that, booo. Next to Normal is one of my "must see's"!
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 am

I love you Aaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!!! I love you
Musical Theatre thread. Groffcreel

JG + GC 4eva!! lol (obviously I took this photo from Perez Hilton.com)
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:03 pm

What a great photo! Gavin and Jonathan are charming together. Smile
Two fantastic Broadway stars.
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:10 pm

I absolutely love Natalie Weiss's version of "Spark Of Creation".

Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:09 pm

^Aaaaw, Whitney, I love that!

So, I treated my self for my birthday and bought tickets to the Musical Theatre Initiative's preview of new musicals Like Water for Chocolate, A Thousand Words Come to Mind and Kansas City Choirboy (which is being sung by Jonathan Groff...bonus).

I'm really excited to hear some new musicals!!!!

I'll let you all know how it is. I love you
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:17 pm

That's phenomenal! oh my goodness, what a fantastic treat. You'll definitely have to post in regards to how it went!
cheers
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Oh, LONDON FRIENDS!!!!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/134616-Broadway-Cast-of-Hair-Will-Bow-in-London-New-Tribe-for-New-York

The Broadway Tribe is phenomenal, and I'm so glad you will have a chance to see it!!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:26 am

Chrissy wrote:Oh, LONDON FRIENDS!!!!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/134616-Broadway-Cast-of-Hair-Will-Bow-in-London-New-Tribe-for-New-York

The Broadway Tribe is phenomenal, and I'm so glad you will have a chance to see it!!

cheers cheers cheers Thanks Chrissy for sending me information about this! So exciting Very Happy

Can't wait to hear about the previews of new musicals you're going to see, Chrissy. Sounds great!
SmileAWhile
SmileAWhile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:32 am

You'll absolutely love HAIR, Ves. It's truly an amazing musical...definitely on my list of top favorite musicals. Very Happy
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 am

*Hair is amazing! Ves, if you go, you have to give us the full report on your thoughts. I know it doesn't open till April, but, hey... Wink

The Music Theatre Initiative I went to the other night was AMAZING!!!!! I love seeing new works performed, especially by great singers and actors.

Here is THE main reason I went, to see Jonathan Groff sing Todd Almond's new show, Kansas City Choir Boy. If you don't know Todd's music, download it... He is an amazing songwriter!!! These are a couple of clips from the show (I was freaking out, Mr. G style)

(By the way, I didn't record this, and I don't know who did, but I'm not trying to take credit. Smile )

Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:25 am

^And in case there's any question, yes, I'm deeply, DEEPLY in love with him. LOL
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:29 am

Jonathan Groff...need I say more, honestly?

Thanks for posting this up, Chrissy. Very Happy
Once again, you were completely fortunate for being able to attend this!

I'm looking forward to this production. Very Happy
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:36 pm

So, I came across an interesting piece of information. Corbin Bleu will be playing the role of Usnavi in the Broadway production of In The Heights. Quite frankly, I don't know how to feel about this. I can't say I approve. It's one of my favorite musicals, so I would hate to see the role butchered. He better start working on his spanish speaking skills. I will be quite peeved if the spanish words are pronounced incorrectly.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/high-school-musicals-corbin-bleu-star-broadways-heights/
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next