Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Musical Theatre thread.

+2
Chrissy
Whitney
6 posters

:: Other

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Musical Theatre thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Musical Theatre thread.

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm

^I still haven't seen In The Heights, though everyone I know says amazing things about it.

I went to the Gilbert & Sullivan Festival the other day and took in a performance of The Pirates of Penzance. It was great! I love Gilbert & Sullivan live, because it's so operatic. These singers were unbelievable!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

My coworker is going to be in Yank, which will be off-Broadway, but Bobby Steggert from Ragtime will also be in it, so try to check it out if you're in NYC!
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 am

Chrissy wrote:^I still haven't seen In The Heights, though everyone I know says amazing things about it.

I went to the Gilbert & Sullivan Festival the other day and took in a performance of The Pirates of Penzance. It was great! I love Gilbert & Sullivan live, because it's so operatic. These singers were unbelievable!

'In The Heights' is coming out here to Los Angeles (Pantages Theater) sometime this year, so I'm completely stoked!

'The Pirates of Penzance' is pure awesomeness as well. "I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major General" is the ultimate patter song, we used it in our voice & speech class (quite the tounge twister.)
Whitney
Whitney

https://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=566468044

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Karen, I'll be sure to check out Yank!

I have to see Heights, too.

My lovely UK ladies...... Have you seen these ads for Hair West End yet?

Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I've had Sherry from Jersey Boys in my head as they've been advertising the musical on TV. Too expensive though. Sad
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 am

I want to see Jersey Boys, too!

I'm thrilled because American Idiot: The Musical, based on Green Day's 'rock/punk opera' album is coming to Broadway. They finally got a theatre, I'm so excited to see it!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Ooh thanks for posting the ad, Chrissy! It looks great! I have no idea when I'll be able to see it though since it starts its run at a bit of a busy period for my friends and I at uni. I'll definitely talk them into going to see it sometime!
SmileAWhile
SmileAWhile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:27 am

I love Jersey Boys. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to American Idiot: The Musical as well Chrissy! It recently ended it's run in San Francisco (wish I could have seen it!)
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:02 am

^Yes, it got great reviews! I can't wait!

Ves, I bet it will run for a while. And I bet you can get some great student deals!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Eww Green Day are a bunch of corporate sell outs and the fact they're now allowing a musical in their name proves it.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:50 pm

^ Laughing Poor Green Day.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 am

I'm not a devoted Green Day fan, but I am one of musical theater--therefore, I'd still enjoy seeing it. Smile

Random, but how brilliant is Alan Menken? I mean, honestly. I'm currently watching "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and absolutely love "The Bells of Notre Dame"-- He's a genious. I'm glad that him and Stephen Schwartz paired up for the music of this film.

Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 am

^Naaaw, I love Green Day. I can't wait to see the show!

When I worked at Disney World, we used to go see the Hunchback stage show ALL THE TIME. So brilliant... a little cheesy, but hey, it's still Disney. And I'm a HUGE fan of the big D.

"Out There" is my personal favorite. I associate really good memories with that music... Good call, Whitney!!!

Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 am

I'm a huge Disney fan as well! The classics are magnificent.

I saw the Hunchback stage show out here at Disneyland and recall loving it. That's such a fantastic song, Chrissy!

Did you get to see the Pocahontas stage show back in the 90's? Once again, Stephen Schwartz is responsible for the music. I swear, him and Alan Menken are Disney musical gods (as well as musical theater gods, obviously. Very Happy )
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:32 am

Well I worked there in 1997, we didn't have the Pocahontas stage show when I was there. Animal Kingdom opened in 1998 and had a Pocahontas show but it was a Birds of Prey show.

And yes, agreed! Musical theatre gods indeed!! Very Happy
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 am

The Pocahontas show opened in 1995 I believe. It may have only played at Disneyland actually. At the end of the show, a tremendous amount of leaves would be released from above and would flow into the crowd. It was great, haha.

I love the opening scene's music!

Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:20 am

I love the entire score! Have you seen the watershow "Fantasmic"? They do this song beautifully, the Native Americans come out on the water in canoes chanting. Oh, it's beauty. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

"Just Around the Riverbend" still makes me cry every time.

A) Judy Kuhn.
B) "...is all my dreaming at an end? Or do you still wait for me, Dream-giver, just around the riverbend?"
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 am

Kind of a crappy version, but you get the idea. It's really rad in person!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 am

I completely agree, the film's entire score is wonderful! The vocal works of Judy Kuhn are outstanding. It's such a touching film, truly.

Yes, I've seen "Fantasmic" various times and it never fails to amaze me! Honestly, it's such a beautiful experience. The music, the water effects, the performances..gives me chills each time.

EDIT: I was about to post that exact same video! haha.
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 am

Poor Green Day? Hmm I wouldn't exactly call them poor. I mean selling out to a major record label wouldn't exactly have left them with empty pockets. Wink

I like musical theatre but it compares to nothing of my love for grunge and punk culture, therefore I won't be seeing it and I will encourage others not to either.

No offense but the only people who'll see it are those who have little to no knowledge on punk rock culture.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Violet wrote:Poor Green Day? Hmm I wouldn't exactly call them poor. I mean selling out to a major record label wouldn't exactly have left them with empty pockets. Wink

I like musical theatre but it compares to nothing of my love for grunge and punk culture, therefore I won't be seeing it and I will encourage others not to either.

No offense but the only people who'll see it are those who have little to no knowledge on punk rock culture.

I was being sarcastic, silly!

It's cool with me if you don't wanna see it, I don't know why you would try to dissuade others from seeing it though?? It's Green Day's music, it's not the story of their lives or anything. These are characters from a story they've made up. Just like The Who's Tommy rock opera.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Because supporting sell out "punk" music is wrong. That's what I believe. It's just unfortunate when majority of their fans are like 15 and have little to no knowledge of punk genre and act like they know everything. Gah they shit me LOL.

I knew you were being sarcastic -- hence my Wink
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:08 pm

LOL, ok now I understand. I think most people actually consider Green Day a pop band now anyway. Smile
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:21 pm

True. Its just the whole "sell out" factor. I mean everyone knows they sold out. I know Rent and Hair are based on rock so it's not music factor. I think punk and theatre would be terrible -- personal opinion though. Enjoy it though. I'll just be like "ummm yeah...no" if anyone suggests it to me.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I do like Greenday, more so their old stuff than new. But i probably wont be going to see this. I always say i like all genres of music (not a big fan of jazz however....), i even have a little 'classical time' from time to time but im not that keen on punk rock tbh. 'The Clash' experimented with it a bit and i love them Smile but I think it's 'The Sex Pistols' who have made me steer away from it a bit. What a bunch of tossers. Especially Sid Vicious, he actually makes me angry to think about him lol. My Dad really liked them when he was growing up but he said the other day that he can't really see why Razz It was just the outrageous behaviour of them i guess. But like i said, im willing to give everything a try Smile

rhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next