What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Whitney on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 am

I decided to create a "general book" thread, so one did not have to be created for each book that was going to be discussed.

I'm currently reading Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones." The film trailer caught my attention tremendously, so luckily, I came across the book in my roommate's book collection. I'm enjoying it so far--the descriptive imagery is just fantastic.
Whitney

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=566468044

Back to top Go down

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Chrissy on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 pm

^Great book.

I'm currently reading a book called "French Women Don't Sleep Alone", which is a little guide to making your life more romantic.

It's very cute!

Back to top Go down

Post by tornmuscle on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm reading both the Japanese novel "Battle Royale", and "A Clockwork Orange". In the amount of time it's taken me to read "Battle Royale", I've managed to read "A Clockwork Orange" twice. Both good books. Real horrorshow and full of ultra-violence.
tornmuscle

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/NameInVainProduction

Back to top Go down

Post by cl-lola on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm reading Iain Banks' 'The Wasp Factory' for what must be about the 20th time! It is my possibly my favourite book ever written simply because it is so shocking and wrong - that kind of thing really grips me.
I'm also sort of attempting to read 'The Time Travellers Wife' although I think I'm going to have to finish one before I read the other as it gets sort of confusing!
cl-lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:58 pm

tornmuscle wrote:I'm reading both the Japanese novel "Battle Royale", and "A Clockwork Orange". In the amount of time it's taken me to read "Battle Royale", I've managed to read "A Clockwork Orange" twice. Both good books. Real horrorshow and full of ultra-violence.

I read this a while ago, and found it morbidly interesting.
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Rest In Peace J.D. Salinger.

I now feel like re-reading The Catcher In The Rye. It's such a fantastic piece of literature.
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 pm

cl-lola wrote:I'm reading Iain Banks' 'The Wasp Factory' for what must be about the 20th time! It is my possibly my favourite book ever written simply because it is so shocking and wrong - that kind of thing really grips me.
also sort of attempting to read 'The Time Travellers Wife' although I think I'm going to have to finish one before I read the other as it gets sort of confusing!

I just started reading The Time Traveler's Wife today and I'm absolutely loving it! I got it as one of my birthday presents from a friend. I know what you mean about it getting confusing but it's a really good read so far!

Top Summer Heights High Quotes
Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Ja'mie: I love your bins, they're so random.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm

I bought the dvd of that for my mum the other day, im looking forward to watching it Smile

rhi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Cool, I've seen the DVD advertised so hopefully I'll watch the DVD when I finish reading the book. Smile

Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 am

The Lovely Bones, since I've seen the movie I want to read the book too.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm

What is your opinion on it so far, Vi?
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm

I have read about The Lovely Bones and just by reading the plot outline alone I can tell that it'll be an engaging book so I'll get round to reading it at some point. After I finish reading 'The Time Traveler's Wife' (which I definitely highly recommend so far!), I'll be moving on to 'The Notebook'.

SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 am

SmileAWhile wrote:I have read about The Lovely Bones and just by reading the plot outline alone I can tell that it'll be an engaging book so I'll get round to reading it at some point. After I finish reading 'The Time Traveler's Wife' (which I definitely highly recommend so far!), I'll be moving on to 'The Notebook'.

This film destroyed me. I have also cried a couple of times in the past whilst reading, so I dread to think what would become of me if I ever read it aswell!!

rhi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 pm

^Not advisable for me to read it whilst commuting on the train, eh? Razz I've heard about how moving it is. I haven't seen the film so I'm looking forward to reading it.

SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:31 am

^I read the book while I was traveling, and I finished it on a plane. Needless to say, the stewardess brought me tissues and asked if I was okay LOL.

Yeah, the movie is just as brutal. But I highly recommend. It's cleansing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 am

Anyone ever read the Nancy Drew series? They are oldies but goodies. I recall being obsessed with the series in elementary school.
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by cl-lola on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 am

Yes I read a few of those, I think they are classics of our time.
cl-lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 am

So I've read both 'The Time Traveler's Wife' and 'The Notebook' and both of are beautiful and heart-wrenching love stories. 'The Time Traveler's Wife' was an absolute joy to read and it is definitely going down as one of the best books I've ever read so far!

Now I'm gonna move on to reading 'Diary of a Nobody' which is meant to be a classic, humorous novel. Smile

SmileAWhile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 am

I'm currently reading The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, which is about the Road Hill murder in 1860 Victorian England. I absolutely LOVE it.

I know nothing about the case, so I'm trying not to look up anything about it because this book reads like a mystery novel, so it's very captivating. I ended up randomly picking out the book while wandering around the world history section at a book store, which could have been a recipe for disaster but thankfully this book is very good.
Karen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cl-lola on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 pm

'The Lovely Bones' - I just watched the film and was deeply disturbed. But I've heard the book is quite different, worse even, as I guess there's certain things that they can't do with children, even in films, if you know what I mean, so I thought I should give it a read. So far, I'm really enjoying it.
cl-lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm going on vacation in a week (YAAAAAAAAAAAY) and need a good novel. Anyone have any old favorites to recommend?

Back to top Go down

Post by cl-lola on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Chrissy, if you haven't already, you should read The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks, my favourite book of all time! It's quite weird and disturbing but a good read if you're into that kind of thing.
cl-lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 am

'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho.
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check out The Wasp Factory Lola. And Whitney, The Alchemist is one of my all time favorites, beautiful book!

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:20 am

I'm glad you're a fan as well! 'The Alchemist' is easily one of my favorite books. Easily.

Have you read Gregory Maguire's 'Wicked' ?
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum