Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Famous Art Museums.

5 posters

Go down

World Famous Art Museums. Empty World Famous Art Museums.

Post by Chrissy Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:53 pm

We have many here in New York. The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Cloisters, The Guggenheim... I know many of us live in very cultural cities across the world.
I always tend to go back to the Met to see the Edgar Degas and John Singer Sargent paintings. And the Cloisters to see the Unicorn Tapestries. And of course, my favorite, Marc Chagall.

What are some of your favorite museums and art work??
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

World Famous Art Museums. Empty Re: World Famous Art Museums.

Post by Whitney Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am

I absolutely love Marc Chagall's work, he's brilliant. My favorite painting would have to be Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night."

My favorite art museum is easily The Louvre, in France. It was the most amazing art gallery I have ever been to. It was like stepping into a history book...the paintings and scupltures were magnificent, to say the least. The Mona Lisa was a lot smaller than I had expected it to be!
Whitney
Whitney

https://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=566468044

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 am

I so wish I could go to the MoMa right now because they have a Tim Burton exhibition!! I would LOVE to see that!!

I'm an art major and take A LOT of art history and I'm still not as interested in art museums as I should be...I can't be bothered to remember much of the artists and their works that I "learn" in my classes either. I will remember an artist's name but can't picture their paintings or style or I'll recognize a painting and forget the artist Rolling Eyes

I've only been to one museum in San Fransisco and it wasn't the most famous one, I don't even remember what it is called! And my city's museum had a nice exhibition of Matisse and Chagall not long ago and I saw that.

Then there was The Louvre. I agree Whit, that they had so many amazing art pieces but when I went to the museum, it was PACKED with people in 100 degree weather (no air conditioning I believe) and let's just say it was very uncomfortable to be in there. There was a HUGE crowd at the Mona Lisa but I know how to easily slip through crowds. I pulled me AND my 4 other groups mates from the back all the way to the red rope in like 30 seconds. I was afraid we wouldn't get a good view of her, but I made sure that wouldn't happen.
Sam
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:19 am

Samantha wrote:I so wish I could go to the MoMa right now because they have a Tim Burton exhibition!! I would LOVE to see that!!

Same. Here. omg. I wish I got to visit museums more often.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:32 pm

^I haven't seen it yet either, I hear it's really wonderful. It is free to go on Friday nights, Karen! I'm just always working. Sad
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 pm

A Tim Burton exhibition? How wonderful!

Last edited by Whitney on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 pm

^Yes! It's chock full of concept art for films, early artwork, comics, sculptures... I must get over there myself.

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2009/timburton/
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileAWhile Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Ah yes, the collections in The Louvre are very impressive. Yes, the Mona Lisa is smaller than I expected. Loved seeing the statue of Venus de Milo too. There are also some religious paintings with very vivid colours which look absolutely beautiful.

London has many art galleries & museums and I have been to a few, moreso when I was younger though. I used to live practically opposite a famous modern art gallery but I wasn't really into the collection there. Museum trips can be quite interesting. I find Egyptian artefacts pretty fascinating. The British Museum is the last museum I went to and it has a really extensive collection. It's really easy to get to for me and it's free so I should go more often.
SmileAWhile
SmileAWhile

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Chrissy wrote:^Yes! It's chock full of concept art for films, early artwork, comics, sculptures... I must get over there myself.

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2009/timburton/

Man, me too! Granted where I work closes in a couple weeks but it's always tough for me to go into the city when I don't have to.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post by Whitney Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 am

I also finda Frida Kahlo's work incredably haunting. She's fantastic. The pain she endured as a result of the horrific accident she was in is portrayed through her work.
Whitney
Whitney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:56 am

The Met here in NYC is going to be hosting "Singles Night" soon, I'm so all over that. Because even if the dudes are lame, I'll still be in one of my favorite places in the whole world! And any guy who truly appreciates art is okay with me! Smile
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum