Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Americans in Australia

4 posters

Go down

Americans in Australia Empty Americans in Australia

Post by Chrissy Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09 pm

I know a lot of you are Australian... and I need your advice!

I'm coming for vacation, by myself, to travel for about a month/maybe 6 weeks later this year.

Last night I had a nightmare that I didn't know how to order a beer and had a panic attack in a bar hahha. I just kept saying "I'm American, I don't know!" over and over again!

And then I was thinking about how I'm gonna look like such an American Idiot if I don't brush up before I go..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... i.e, how to order a coffee, bc i don't know what a flat white means. hahahahaha

thanks!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Americans in Australia Empty Re: Americans in Australia

Post by Vi Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:16 pm

"Skinny cap please."

"That's $3 thanks."

"Thank you."

We do speak English. hahahaha.

You stress too much.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Violet wrote:"Skinny cap please."

"That's $3 thanks."

"Thank you."

We do speak English. hahahaha.

You stress too much.

Laughing hahaha, violet, you know me by now!

I am a Nervous Nellie. I just know we don't have the best rep in the world... and i saw something on the chaser's war on everything about dumb ass americans and i was horrified...

didn't know the eiffel tower was in france, are you kidding me?!?! i was like "ah, hell, no..."
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:24 pm

^LOL. Yeah i know. But not EVERYTHING on that show is 100% real.

Most people think of Australians as outback yobos that ride around on kanagroos when truth is, we are the most urbanized country in the world.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:25 am

Violet wrote:^LOL. Yeah i know. But not EVERYTHING on that show is 100% real.

Most people think of Australians as outback yobos that ride around on kanagroos when truth is, we are the most urbanized country in the world.

LOL EXACTLY!!

But you're right, I need to relax about it.

One of my best friends just got a job in Paris (lucky bitch) and she's freaking out. I was like "Aw, they don't hate us anymore!" hahaha
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna.♥ Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:38 am

would it help if i went through the different types of coffees?

short black = a single shot of black coffee with no milk (very strong)
long black = same as short black but dilluted with more hot water
flat white = long black with milk in a mug (no froth)
cuppacino = flat white with froth and chocolate topping on top
latte = flat white in a glass (tiny bit of froth)

and if you want skinny milk just say "skinny" before the name of the coffee (unless of course there's no milk in it)

yea, i think that's about it haha. you'll be fine. i've seen a few americans at uni and they're all good lol. chilax Very Happy and have a great time!
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Aw, thanks guys! Embarassed
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Chrissy wrote:I know a lot of you are Australian... and I need your advice!

I'm coming for vacation, by myself, to travel for about a month/maybe 6 weeks later this year.

Last night I had a nightmare that I didn't know how to order a beer and had a panic attack in a bar hahha. I just kept saying "I'm American, I don't know!" over and over again!

And then I was thinking about how I'm gonna look like such an American Idiot if I don't brush up before I go..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... i.e, how to order a coffee, bc i don't know what a flat white means. hahahahaha

thanks!

If you order a beer, just don't ask for Foster's, nobody in Australia drinks it, we send it overseas because nobody here likes it lol.
Camm
Camm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Where abouts are you planing on heading in Oz?
You will find alot of the slang is diffrent though. Like Pop is Fizzy Drink. But going over Chris shows will help. As alot of Ozzy slang is used in WCBH.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm

People will recognize your accent and be all like "OMG you're from America, how cool!" and stuff if anything LOL.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 am

Donna- thanks so much for taking the time to do that! I live on coffee, so it'll come in so handy.

LOL, yeah stupidmeatball, I actually did know that Australians don't drink Fosters! We have quite a good selection of Australian beers here, although it's impossible to get VB in America. I mean, it's literally impossible. We have quite a few Australian bars in the city and they all have "Bring VB to the States!" petitions... hilarious. Thank You for the advice!

Ballin'- I am hoping to see the Great Barrier Reef and then just take my time and see what I feel like seeing on my way to Melbourne. I've got some friends in Sydney, so I'll definitely get there, I wanna see Australia Zoo and spend time at the beach if I can... it's all kind of up in the air depending on time. But yeah, I'm excited!!

Violet- LOL it's going to seem so weird to have people think I'm the one with an accent... I have pretty much no trace of an accent at all in America... My mom has a wicked Boston accent, she drops all of her R's and everything, but I lost all mine in school when I took Voice and Diction...lol, ah, theatre school!

Thanks again, guys...anything else you think of, let me know!!!
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:42 am

Chrissy wrote:
LOL, yeah stupidmeatball, I actually did know that Australians don't drink Fosters! We have quite a good selection of Australian beers here, although it's impossible to get VB in America. I mean, it's literally impossible. We have quite a few Australian bars in the city and they all have "Bring VB to the States!" petitions... hilarious. Thank You for the advice!

You poor things. That's horrible, I love the stuff myself and you'll have to try it at some point. Or perhaps every point Very Happy

Chrissy wrote:
Violet- LOL it's going to seem so weird to have people think I'm the one with an accent... I have pretty much no trace of an accent at all in America... My mom has a wicked Boston accent, she drops all of her R's and everything, but I lost all mine in school when I took Voice and Diction...lol, ah, theatre school!

Thanks again, guys...anything else you think of, let me know!!!

Just don't try the Australian accent. We can spot a fake a mile off. Even Meryl Streep (possibly the world's finest actress of all time) couldn't do it. THe only good one I've heard was Robert Downey Jnr. in Tropic Thunder, but even then it was more of a Queensland accent. (Yes there are differences, very subtle but they're noticeable, Adelaide is the easiest to spot, they sound quite proper and it's very noticeable when they say chance and dance, Queensland is a lot more ocker.)
Camm
Camm

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:23 am

stupidmeatball wrote:
Just don't try the Australian accent. We can spot a fake a mile off. Even Meryl Streep (possibly the world's finest actress of all time) couldn't do it. THe only good one I've heard was Robert Downey Jnr. in Tropic Thunder, but even then it was more of a Queensland accent. (Yes there are differences, very subtle but they're noticeable, Adelaide is the easiest to spot, they sound quite proper and it's very noticeable when they say chance and dance, Queensland is a lot more ocker.)

Laughing Yeeeeeah... I promise I won't be doing that! Wouldn't even attempt it.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down