Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana

5 posters

:: Rock

Go down

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana Empty Kurt Cobain and Nirvana

Post by Vi Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Come on, you all saw this coming a mile away.

Just watch, then comment. But you must watch:

Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana Empty Re: Kurt Cobain and Nirvana

Post by Vi Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:32 pm

SMELLS Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana edged out the likes of Jeff Buckley and Queen to top the list of the nation's all-time favourite songs.

More than 500,000 voters contributed to the Triple J poll, "Hottest 100 Of All Time''.

Headbangers Rage Against the Machine came in at number two with Killing In the Name, while late singer and songwriter Jeff Buckley scored two spots in the top 10 with Hallelujah at number three and Last Goodbye at seven.

Which song do you think should have been number one? Have your say below

Australian bands were overlooked in the top ten with The Hilltop Hoods the first act to make it at number 17 - ignoring the likes of homegrown legends ACDC and Powderfinger.

Notable exlusions from the final 100 include songAussie writing legend Paul Kelly and mainstream heavyweights Madonna and Prince.

Music guru Molly Meldrum said it was astonishing ACDC's classic It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock) had not made the list.

``All I can say is, it's a long way to top if you want to make it to the Triple J hottest 100,'' he said.

The Aussie rockers rated a mention at number 63 with Thunderstruck and 91 Back in Black.

Meldrum said it was difficult to single out the best hit ``of all time'', but Smells Like Teen Spirit was an iconic song.

``It's a sensational track and Kurt Cobain, it's sad, was not only a great performer, not only on stage and in the studio, but a great songwriter.''

The radio station may have a youth demographic, but classics such as Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin and Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division still ranked in the top ten.

Michael Jackson's Thriller ranked highly, but his death just two days before voting closed ensured Billie Jean was also included.

The Beatles collected three spots in the final 100 with A Day in the Life, Hey Jude and Come Together.

At the more contemperory end of the scale was Bon Iver's Skinny Love, released last year.

The majority of top 100 songs were chosen from the 90's including the likes of electronic act Massive Attack, grunge rockers Smashing Pumpkins and indie band Pulp.

When the poll was last held in 1989, postpunk act Joy Division took out the contest with Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Triple J Hottest 100 Of All Time, the top 10

1. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

2. Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name

3. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

4. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

5. Radiohead - Paranoid Android

6. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

7. Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge

9. Foo Fighters - Everlong

10. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

I can't complain. Its not the best song lyrically or musically of all time, but it truly did change the world and will forever be the anthem for disadvantaged youths. Its good people realize just how amazing Kurt really was and accomplished more in his short 5 years in the business then many others have in their whole careers.

Though i would have gone with Gimme Shelter by the Stones as No. 1. You will never get a more perfect song then that.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:55 pm

I voted for Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll), but Smells Like Teen Spirit was always goona win it, but I thought that Love Will Tear Us Apart would've been second.
Gimme Shelter is a great song, but I don't reckon the Stones best, I reckon Under My Thumb is.
Camm
Camm

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna.♥ Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:17 am

Yep, I knew this thread was coming.

I watched the video just for you Violet <3 I love the set and the chair he's sitting on... I know it's a weird thing to notice but it's original.

I think I'll have to download those top 10 songs seeing as I've only actually heard of/listened to about 2 as far as I can tell.... Embarassed
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Nah Gimme Shelter is the perfect song i reckon. Rolling Stones magazine agree and i think they're one if not the only creditable music magazine still around.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 pm

In their 500 best songs off al time they put Satisfaction at number 2. Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan was number 1.
When did they say Gimme Shelter was the best song?
Camm
Camm

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:53 am

I love Nirvana's unplugged. Smile

Although I'm pleased Nirvana are No. 1. My fave from that list is - Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name Of... So good!!!
Summer
Summer

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna.♥ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 am

Look what I found:

http://dolly.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=834800

Oh and Vi you probably know this already but they sell Kurt Cobain dolls at Highpoint.
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 am

Question:

I am so curious to know (but don't feel like you have to answer if you don't want to) if you fall on the "Kurt was murdered" side of the fence or the "Nah, he committed suicide" side of the fence.

There's lots of literature and websites out there dedicated to the former....

I always kind of fell on the morbid side and believed he committed suicide. But there are some facts that always raised an eyebrow. Like the whole "how could he have killed himself if he had that much heroin in his system?"

I don't know, I'm 50/50.

So lets debate. Someone convince me one way or another.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Kurt was murdered. He wasn't suicidal. The only person who claimed he was suicidal was Courtney. Thats why his death was such a shock to so many people. No could believe he killed himself.

And also based on all the evidence in the case, so much more leads to a homicide then a suicide.

This site is hosted by Tom Grant. He was hired by CLove during the few days Kurt went "missing". He too believes Kurt was murdered.

http://cobaincase.com/
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:14 pm

^ Yeah, I know about Tom Grant's case. A lot of that stuff makes sense. It's pretty fucked actually. Did you ever see the movie "Kurt and Courtney"? It's an old documentary, but Tom Grant is interviewed. Courtney got it yanked from Sundance. In it her own father comes out and says she had him killed. And the shit with El Duce and Allen Wrench is un-ignorable.

Ulch, it turns my stomach to think that might be true. It makes me sad.

Do you think Courtney had something to do with it? That seems to be the major conspiracy theory.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I know a Nirvana fan who blames Courtney. I don't like to make judgements like that because I don't know her.

There is just one thing that comes to my mind and that is, people don't always know if someone feels suicidal. That can be kept to yourself. Also some people who plan suicide can act fine knowing they have planned it.

That link you posted Vi is very interesting. I would be very upset if it was murder. Sad I've watched some tv programs about this before, but I really have no idea myself.
Summer
Summer

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Summer wrote:I know a Nirvana fan who blames Courtney. I don't like to make judgements like that because I don't know her.

There is just one thing that comes to my mind and that is, people don't always know if someone feels suicidal. That can be kept to yourself. Also some people who plan suicide can act fine knowing they have planned it.

That link you posted Vi is very interesting. I would be very upset if it was murder. Sad I've watched some tv programs about this before, but I really have no idea myself.

Thats a good point too, Summer. I don't know if we have all experienced the pain of losing someone close, or at least someone we know, to suicide. I have, and although it is a personal issue, I'm okay talking about it. I had no idea this person was suicidal until I got that phone call. Don't get me wrong, he was NOT without issues, but it was never something I would have expected.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:08 pm

I think with most suicide cases though, its safe to say most victims do show some kind of suicidal tendencies. I also thinks its wrong to label someone who suffers depression as suicidal too. Just because Kurt didn't talk about rainbows and sunshine in his lyrics it doesn't mean he was suicidal.

I just find it weird how all of Kurt's close friends said he never appeared suicidal to them. He loved his daughter with everything in him and even started to give up the drugs when she was born because he wanted to be around to see her grow up. He had OD'd before in the past and he was scared of losing her.

The funniest thing is, Tom Grant said to Courtney, "look we can stop this, all you gotta do is take a lie detector test and then i'll be out of your life forever". Courtney agreed to it, but she never showed up.

I do think she has something to do with it unfortunately. But i don't think she killed him. I believe Courtney had found Kurt's retirement letter he had written and added the extra bit in at the end to make it look like a suicide note. That explains all the handwriting samples Tom had found in her bedroom as she had been practicing this for some time. She offered Carly a large amount of money to kill Kurt, and with him being a frequent heroin user, a large sum of money would be a jackpot to him. I believe he offered Kurt some heroin and they decided to shoot up. This being the lethal amount, this would have incapacitated Kurt pretty much straight away. Then many of us believe, Carly carried Kurt up to the greenhouse and placed a shotgun in his mouth and fired the trigger. Courtney WAS in LA at the time so this gave her a good alibi to the police.

She kept telling Tom to check the greenhouse when he and Dylan went looking for Kurt. Why would she do that?

Its so easy for the cops to label his death a suicide. He was a known drug user and obviously Courtney had told them he was suicidal and depressed. Why bother even attempting to think it was a homicide?

Yes i have a copy of Kurt and Courtney at home and i suggest to anyone interested to get a copy of "Love and Death". Amazing book.

Yes there is a chance Kurt could have killed himself, thats what i always thought to believe at first but there is too much evidence surrounding murder that can not be ignored.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:54 am

I've been obsessing about it since I picked up that damn book. (Heavier Than Heaven, not Love and Death, which I will also read)

And yeah, I know Courtney didn't actually physically kill him, it is F*CKED UP if she paid someone to do it and his daughter deserves to know the true circumstances surrounding her father's death.

El Duce passed a lie detector test saying she DID offer him money to kill him. And then HE mysteriously got hit by a train. Or pushed into one.

And yes, Violet, I agree it seemed that once Frances was born he may have wanted to kick drugs. Unfortunately though they had quite a fierce grip on him. Sad He adamantly denied being "a junkie" in the media.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Chrissy wrote:I've been obsessing about it since I picked up that damn book. (Heavier Than Heaven, not Love and Death, which I will also read)

And yeah, I know Courtney didn't actually physically kill him, it is F*CKED UP if she paid someone to do it and his daughter deserves to know the true circumstances surrounding her father's death.

El Duce passed a lie detector test saying she DID offer him money to kill him. And then HE mysteriously got hit by a train. Or pushed into one.

And yes, Violet, I agree it seemed that once Frances was born he may have wanted to kick drugs. Unfortunately though they had quite a fierce grip on him. Sad He adamantly denied being "a junkie" in the media.

Yeah he passed with 99.95% accuracy. I do think his death was accidental. He was a known drunk so he could have easily stumbled onto the tracks of an oncoming train much unfortunately.

Kurt had no real reason to kill himself. He had a daughter he thought the world of, money, a successful career, Nirvana were in the works of recording their 4th album and he was to join REM as an add on guitarist. He had had surgery on his crooked spine which gave him relief from his stomach problems he had since a child and was finally able to digest food properly. He was planning on getting a divorce from Courtney and taking Frances (as he at the time was seen as the fitter parent) away from Seattle to stay with Leland and go fishing and stuff and catch up with old school friends.

What reason did he have to end his life?
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down