Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit

4 posters

:: News

Go down

Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit Empty Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit

Post by Donna.♥ Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:21 am

The pranksters from the ABC series The Chaser are in familiar territory once again after their latest skit landed them in hot water.

Chasers Andrew Hanson and Chris Taylor have been the subject of scorn from many viewers after they aired the skit "Make a Realistic Wish Foundation", where they asked actors playing sick children in hospital beds what they wish for.

One little girl asked Taylor for a trip to Disneyland before he handed her a pencil case, saying they were "helping thousands of kids to lower their extravagance and selfishness in the face of death."

The ABC switchboard was swamped with angry callers, and the Daily Telegraph has reported one father was left to console his seven-year-old terminally ill son.

The Starlight Children's Foundation has issued a statement highlighting their disapproval of the sketch.

"The Chaser segment that discredited wish granting programs for seriously ill children was in poor taste and and has caused offence to many Starlight families and supporters," it said.

"We are disappointed that this television program has attempted to make a mockery of the challenges these children and families face."

The Make A Wish Foundation has also blasted the program, saying families might think twice about asking for help for their seriously ill children.

"I would hate to think there are families out there that can apply for a wish (that don't)," Foundation spokeswoman Janita Friend said.

"(The families) won't make a wish because they do feel that psychologically they are signing something that says 'Now my child will pass away'."

Chaser cast member Craig Reucassel has told the Seven Network the skit was meant to be funny and if anyone is offended they should make a donation to the Make A Wish Foundation.

The ABC has since issued an apology, saying they did not intend to hurt those who have been affected by the terminal illness of a child.

A re-edited version of the episode will run online and on ABC2.

Hmmm. I haven't seen the skit. Has anyone else seen it?
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit Empty Re: Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit

Post by Chrissy Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:06 am

Donna.S2 wrote:
The pranksters from the ABC series The Chaser are in familiar territory once again after their latest skit landed them in hot water.

Chasers Andrew Hanson and Chris Taylor have been the subject of scorn from many viewers after they aired the skit "Make a Realistic Wish Foundation", where they asked actors playing sick children in hospital beds what they wish for.

One little girl asked Taylor for a trip to Disneyland before he handed her a pencil case, saying they were "helping thousands of kids to lower their extravagance and selfishness in the face of death."

The ABC switchboard was swamped with angry callers, and the Daily Telegraph has reported one father was left to console his seven-year-old terminally ill son.

The Starlight Children's Foundation has issued a statement highlighting their disapproval of the sketch.

"The Chaser segment that discredited wish granting programs for seriously ill children was in poor taste and and has caused offence to many Starlight families and supporters," it said.

"We are disappointed that this television program has attempted to make a mockery of the challenges these children and families face."

The Make A Wish Foundation has also blasted the program, saying families might think twice about asking for help for their seriously ill children.

"I would hate to think there are families out there that can apply for a wish (that don't)," Foundation spokeswoman Janita Friend said.

"(The families) won't make a wish because they do feel that psychologically they are signing something that says 'Now my child will pass away'."

Chaser cast member Craig Reucassel has told the Seven Network the skit was meant to be funny and if anyone is offended they should make a donation to the Make A Wish Foundation.

The ABC has since issued an apology, saying they did not intend to hurt those who have been affected by the terminal illness of a child.

A re-edited version of the episode will run online and on ABC2.

Hmmm. I haven't seen the skit. Has anyone else seen it?

Good call, Craig.

I've volunteered with terminally ill children, which not only affected me, it literally changed my life.

Does this offend me? No.

If you don't like it, turn it off. I believe it is not meant to intentionally hurt people.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit Empty Re: Chaser in hot water over ill kids skit

Post by Donna.♥ Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:13 am

Here's the skit if anyone wants to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS36ZuCW-7c

Hmm... I think it went a TINY bit too far but it is funny and I don't see that they intentionally wanted to hurt anyone. But I wish I had seen it before I had read the article coz I was kinda expecting it to be bad... so I don't know if I would have laughed before reading the article. But I can see why people went a bit crazy, especially the least comment: "Why go to any trouble when they're gonna die anyway?" Or something like that...
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Theres nothing funny about making fun of sick children. If there is, this is just MORE proof (though there is already so much) that the world is indeed going to hell. I agree with Camm that they're just gonna get worse and worse (though i dont know how you can get any lower then that) until someone goes "Okay! Enough!"

Its been all on the radio tonight, while i was driving with my friend we were listening to people's thoughts. Most agreed it was out of line.

I'm not a tight ass by any means. I like controversy, but this isn't controversy, its just evil.

Until you have children of your own i don't think you'll understand it.
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrissy Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:07 am

Ok, I finally watched it.

I didn't find it 'funny', per se, but it certainly didn't ruffle me at all.

The last line was uncalled for, I totally agree.

These guys are going for "shock factor". It doesn't make it right, and yeah, maybe if I had children of my own I might feel differently, but I think it just basically was them trying to look like assholes. Playing characters.

Just like Chris plays some nasty characters. People were really upset over SHH, too. But it's TV. Or maybe I've just learned not to take this kind of stuff personally because it all just seems to be for publicity's sake.

I don't think they should be exploiting organizations like Make A Wish or Starlight, but at the same time, I'm not personally offended by it, either.
Chrissy
Chrissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:07 pm

^Well of course i wasn't 'personally' offended either, i don't have a sick child dying in the hospital. You don't have to be personally affected to find this skit wrong and insulting. Its called having a fucken heart. Karma is a bitch. I hope they don't knock their GF's up anytime soon.

I don't even think Chris would do something like this. How would he feel if his niece ended up in hospital? He mocked the assholes who made fun of disabled people. He wasn't being nasty himself. Watch the BTS bits with Toby. He's a nice guy to all the kids.

Anyway the show has been cut for 2 weeks. Mark my words, it'll be cut for good. Chris we're waiting for your show now. Wink

THE ABC has bowed to public pressure by pulling The Chaser's War On Everything after a storm of outrage at a skit about dying children.

The unprecedented move will see the show dropped from the ABC for two weeks.

The Herald Sun was trying to get confirmation from the Chaser team that one of its members, Chris Taylor, had received death threats following Wednesday night’s screening of the offending skit.

Was the ABC right to take Chaser off the air for two weeks? Leave your comment here
On their Facebook page, the Chaser team finally apologised for the sketch.

"We've just heard from the ABC that they're suspending the show for two weeks. We were keen to keep making the show, so were disappointed by the decision, and we dont agree with it," they said.

"But that aside, wed like to apologise. The piece was a very black sketch. Obviously too black. And were really sorry for the significant pain and anger we have caused."

"Now we've seen the impact of the piece we wish wed thought it through better. There was no value in it that justifies the impact it's clearly had on people whose grief or trauma is so great already. We should have considered that. We got it wrong. We're sorry."

ABC Managing Direct Mark Scott made the decision to drop the show following the controversy surrounding the Chaser’s sketch “Making A Realistic Wish Foundation”.

The decision, made with the ABC’s Director of Television, Kim Dalton, followed discussions with The Chaser team.

“We have decided this is the most appropriate course of action,” Scott said. “It gives the ABC an opportunity to complete a review of editorial approval processes. It also gives The Chaser a chance to regroup and review their material.

"In making the wrong judgement call we have let down our audience and the wider community. We need to fully review the ABC's approval processes for programs that deliberately challenge public attitudes."
Vi
Vi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna.♥ Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:59 am

Well at least they apologized..
Donna.♥
Donna.♥

Back to top Go down

Post by Camm Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 am

I think the suspension is so that they can get rid of any similarly offensive sketches and replace them with more tasteful fare.
At least the DVD will be chockers with deleted scenes Smile
Camm
Camm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down