Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

 :: News

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Heather on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:06 pm

aww yeh...i was genuinely upset when stevo died...loved that guy god rest him
avatar
Heather

Age : 28
Location : Edinburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Donna.♥ on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Violet wrote:Its really starting to piss me off how people who never liked him or listened to his music before all of a sudden are loving him. Thats disgusting. He actually had to die before you decided to explore his music and other music in general? Laziness and selfishness in its finest. I said this the other day at work and most agreed with me so i'm glad i'm not the only one with a bit of sense of morality.

I don't think it's disgusting at all. I did like him before I just never really grew up listening to his music because I wasn't born in the 80s. When he was in his prime I was about 2 years old, hardly able to understand what music was let alone be a fan of someone. How could that be selfishness?

I feel absolutely stupid for not realising what a great man he was but I think that comment was a bit too far because I'm not ashamed - at least I've figured it out now, even if it's after he died. (Even if that comment wasn't directed at me)

I think if you love someone or you're a fan of them, it doesn't matter when it happens, just that it does. Doesn't mean we have no morality... pfft.
avatar
Donna.♥

Age : 27
Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by SmileAWhile on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Violet, I can definitely see what youíre saying in some respect but situations like this always happen after sudden deaths of famous people. I know Iíve always been a true fan of MJ and I try to take the positives out of more people appreciating his music now since thereís no point getting angry about it as long people arenít taking advantage of his passing in a malicious way and aren't just saying that they are fans of MJ just to 'fit in'.

Itís quite normal for those who have always been fans of MJ to be reminded of how great he was after his death too. Also like Donna pointed out, thereíll be people who were too young to fully realise his music but are now becoming more aware of his music. The more people who are genuine fans and appreciate his impact on the entertainment industry, the better imo. Itís never Ďtoo lateí to become a genuine fan.

Here are a few pics I took whilst passing by MJ tributes when I went out into Central London yesterday with friends for one of my friendís birthday. The first two pics were taken outside of the record store HMV at Piccadilly Circus and the last one was taken outside of Lyric Theatre where they are showing Thriller the Musical.




_________________


Top Summer Heights High Quotes
Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Ja'mie: I love your bins, they're so random.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
avatar
SmileAWhile

Location : London, UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Vi on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 pm

SmileAWhile wrote:Violet, I can definitely see what youíre saying in some respect but situations like this always happen after sudden deaths of famous people. I know Iíve always been a true fan of MJ and I try to take the positives out of more people appreciating his music now since thereís no point getting angry about it as long people arenít taking advantage of his passing in a malicious way and aren't just saying that they are fans of MJ just to 'fit in'.

Thats who i am referring to. Thats what a lot are doing. Its all of a sudden considered "popular" so they're gonna listen for the hell of it.

Its different when you grow up in a different generation and discover older music like for example i was only 5 when Kurt Cobain died and was about 10-11 when i starting listen to Nirvana so obviously i wasn't going to BDO when Nirvana played in 1992 or anything and i think when people go "i've been listening to so and so since i was 2" is bullshit because you can't remember squat back then LOL.

But thing is, i'm referring to people OUR age who are old enough to know VERY well of Michael and his music who never cared before about him.

I just think if you didn't appreciate him when he was alive what gives you the right now? Sorry but thats how i feel. Once again he had to actually DIE before you decided to give his music a listen to? I'm not saying you can't listen to him or anything but those who are now calling themselves true fans aren't and never will be.

Its not that hard to go to a record store or a library and borrow a book on music history and read about about it. I've discovered in my lifetime how amazing bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are. I don't know, maybe i'm more open and serious about music then others. I like what i want to like and not just listen to something because its all of a sudden "popular".

No i wasn't referring to you Donna, i don't know what kind of music you're into, i've never had a discussion about it before with you.


I know my opinions in this section have not been very popular with others but i'm still gonna express them whether they're agreed to or not. Wink


Last edited by Violet on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

_________________
Go Banana
avatar
Vi
Admin

Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by SmileAWhile on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:03 pm

You should definitely feel free to express your opinion, Vi and I know many people agree with you since this has been an on-going debate since he passed away and this kind of discussion always happens after famous people pass away.

_________________


Top Summer Heights High Quotes
Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Ja'mie: I love your bins, they're so random.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
avatar
SmileAWhile

Location : London, UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Donna.♥ on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:05 pm

I agree that people who are doing it to fit in isn't such a good thing, but some people genuinely have discovered this music for themselves.

I am VERY serious about music, more than people think. I can't play it myself unfortunately but I appreciate it so much.

It would annoy me if people in particular DIDN'T like Michael and NOW they do (e.g. believed the molestation claims and now love him) but I'm not annoyed by people who just didn't listen to his music.


I just read over my last sentence and I take it back. You know what, even if they didn't like him and they do now. So what? They've realised the error of their ways. Like Smile said, it's better late than never I reckon. People will always judge you no matter what you do.
avatar
Donna.♥

Age : 27
Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Vi on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 pm

^Because we live in a judgmental shallow society love. Its better you discover that now then later on in life.

It doesn't bother me so much because i'm not a fan of MJ. But i'm just talking from experience when i've had people go to me "omg i love Nirvana too. Smells Like Teen Spirit is like totally their best song" when really its pretty damn obvious they don't have a clue about them. Don't lie and say stuff to fit in because its very insulting to true fans.

Music is the best thing ever invented. Its better then TV, better then the internet. Please for the love of god explore as much of it as you possibly can while you can!!

_________________
Go Banana
avatar
Vi
Admin

Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Donna.♥ on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Violet wrote:^Because we live in a judgmental shallow society love. Its better you discover that now then later on in life.

You think I don't know that? Of course we do.

Violet wrote:Music is the best thing ever invented. Its better then TV, better then the internet. Please for the love of god explore as much of it as you possibly can while you can!!

Oh i am and will Very Happy
avatar
Donna.♥

Age : 27
Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Summer on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 pm

Violet wrote:
SmileAWhile wrote:Violet, I can definitely see what youíre saying in some respect but situations like this always happen after sudden deaths of famous people. I know Iíve always been a true fan of MJ and I try to take the positives out of more people appreciating his music now since thereís no point getting angry about it as long people arenít taking advantage of his passing in a malicious way and aren't just saying that they are fans of MJ just to 'fit in'.

Thats who i am referring to. Thats what a lot are doing. Its all of a sudden considered "popular" so they're gonna listen for the hell of it.

Its different when you grow up in a different generation and discover older music like for example i was only 5 when Kurt Cobain died and was about 10-11 when i starting listen to Nirvana so obviously i wasn't going to BDO when Nirvana played in 1992 or anything and i think when people go "i've been listening to so and so since i was 2" is bullshit because you can't remember squat back then LOL.

But thing is, i'm referring to people OUR age who are old enough to know VERY well of Michael and his music who never cared before about him.

I just think if you didn't appreciate him when he was alive what gives you the right now? Sorry but thats how i feel. Once again he had to actually DIE before you decided to give his music a listen to? I'm not saying you can't listen to him or anything but those who are now calling themselves true fans aren't and never will be.

Its not that hard to go to a record store or a library and borrow a book on music history and read about about it. I've discovered in my lifetime how amazing bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are. I don't know, maybe i'm more open and serious about music then others. I like what i want to like and not just listen to something because its all of a sudden "popular".

No i wasn't referring to you Donna, i don't know what kind of music you're into, i've never had a discussion about it before with you.


I know my opinions in this section have not been very popular with others but i'm still gonna express them whether they're agreed to or not. Wink

I like to read others people's views, I appreciate everyone opinions and in someways I agree with you Vi. At the moment because we know nothing about why he died etc. The only explanation I have is the media have brought him down for years. They treated him like a Robot or an Alien, when he came across to me as one of the most sensitive people I have ever seen. It's those people I am annoyed with. I've been reading comments left for him on youtube and I come across quite a few with exactly the same opinion as yours.

As for other fans who have just discovered him, I think it's wonderful! And of course they will be true fans. His music has been played so much recently it's bound to happen. I just wish we could've celebrated him while he was still around and maybe he wouldn't have been suffering so much. Sad Even if the haters end up being fans, maybe they can now all realize that the media should be ignored, that they exaggerate too much and that there is always an explanation for everything.

I got into Nirvana quite a few years back and that was after Kurt died. It's because I felt in my own way, I understood what he was about. Music is such a personal thing, everyone has a different life experience with which we use to connect. Although we may understand things differently compared to another person. I felt like I was a big enough fan, maybe I didn't realize just quite the impact they made at his time, but I did later. My sisters then boyfriend said to her, that myself and my sister can't be true fans because we weren't fans when he was alive and that hurt us.

Thanks for taking and posting those photo's SmileAWhile, I appreciate it very much. It's lovely to see. Smile Although sad...


Last edited by Summer on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Summer

Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Heather on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:39 am

i reckon in a way this whole kind of boom in jacksons popularity is quite a good thing cos people just got bogged down in all the shite that they forgot how good his songs and that were, people just needed to be reminded of this even if dying is a pretty drastic way to do it. I dont think people are pretending to like him to "fit in", nobody does that do they. You either like something or you dont


Anyways who gives a shite, i think hes cool and thats all that matters to me sunny
avatar
Heather

Age : 28
Location : Edinburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Donna.♥ on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:06 am

Look what I bought!! Very Happy Very Happy

Apparantly they're selling like hotcakes!

avatar
Donna.♥

Age : 27
Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Chrissy on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:12 pm

^LOL I totally had the poster of him in the yellow vest on my wall when I was about 7 or 8....hilarious! That picture brings back memories!

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Camm on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Violet wrote:^Because we live in a judgmental shallow society love. Its better you discover that now then later on in life.

It doesn't bother me so much because i'm not a fan of MJ. But i'm just talking from experience when i've had people go to me "omg i love Nirvana too. Smells Like Teen Spirit is like totally their best song" when really its pretty damn obvious they don't have a clue about them. Don't lie and say stuff to fit in because its very insulting to true fans.

Music is the best thing ever invented. Its better then TV, better then the internet. Please for the love of god explore as much of it as you possibly can while you can!!

Clearly About a Girl is. I can still remember the first time I heard that song, on JJJ many years ago.

I had never really liked MJ, I liked Beat It and Thirller (the video scared the shit out me as a kid though), but by the time I was at an age to appreciate music he'd already gone wacko. Although, having grown older and learn't about his impact on the music industry, I'd gained respect for him as a musician and an entertainer, but not as a public figure. That's my view on the situation anyway.
avatar
Camm

Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Vi on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:39 pm

The best Nirvana song aren't even original Nirvana songs IMO. LOL.

Anyway, the latest story i've read is they are planning to have a concert on those dates he was supposed to perform. But now they're gonna have a tribute concert by the one and only musician who can really compare to his level and is basically the female version of him, Madonna. (who i truly adore about as much as some of you claim to adore MJ Wink )


Anyway, i love this version of Beat It by FOB.



The comments are hilarious! 2 years ago they were all saying they loved it i bet and now that he's dead they're terrible....fucken morons.

_________________
Go Banana
avatar
Vi
Admin

Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Camm on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:55 pm

But John Mayer is nowhere near as awesome Eddie Van Halen!

And Vi, are you referring to Man Who Sold the World?
Apparently Bowie hates that younger fans tell him that they're glad that he "performed a Nirvana song at his concert" Smile
avatar
Camm

Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Vi on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Yes amazing and Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night". My god when Kurt screams at the end i still get shivers everytime i hear it.

True that Mayer is a douche but that is a terrific cover.

_________________
Go Banana
avatar
Vi
Admin

Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Camm on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Whew! Glad I didn't have to go toe-to-toe about Van Halen v. Mayer lol.
But as a guitarist I'm pretty sure you'd already know that Van Halen is a god with a six-string!
avatar
Camm

Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by SmileAWhile on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:20 pm

FOB did a good job with Beat It, as did AAF with Smooth Criminal and a few other covers out there. Obviously there'll be comparisons with the originals because they are simply classics but there's nothing wrong with people wishing to do covers as long as they don't massacre the original haha Wink

_________________


Top Summer Heights High Quotes
Mr. G: This is a big show I did last year, Tsunamarama, which was about the Tsunami tragedy set to the music of Bananarama.
Ja'mie: I love your bins, they're so random.
Jonah: Fuck you, miss. I said, "Puck you" with a 'p'. Donít you even know how to spell, miss?
avatar
SmileAWhile

Location : London, UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Heather on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Camm wrote:But John Mayer is nowhere near as awesome Eddie Van Halen!

And Vi, are you referring to Man Who Sold the World?
Apparently Bowie hates that younger fans tell him that they're glad that he "performed a Nirvana song at his concert" Smile


omg SECONDED!! van halen = king
avatar
Heather

Age : 28
Location : Edinburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Summer on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:46 am

Camm wrote:
Violet wrote:^Because we live in a judgmental shallow society love. Its better you discover that now then later on in life.

It doesn't bother me so much because i'm not a fan of MJ. But i'm just talking from experience when i've had people go to me "omg i love Nirvana too. Smells Like Teen Spirit is like totally their best song" when really its pretty damn obvious they don't have a clue about them. Don't lie and say stuff to fit in because its very insulting to true fans.

Music is the best thing ever invented. Its better then TV, better then the internet. Please for the love of god explore as much of it as you possibly can while you can!!

Clearly About a Girl is. I can still remember the first time I heard that song, on JJJ many years ago.

I had never really liked MJ, I liked Beat It and Thirller (the video scared the shit out me as a kid though), but by the time I was at an age to appreciate music he'd already gone wacko. Although, having grown older and learn't about his impact on the music industry, I'd gained respect for him as a musician and an entertainer, but not as a public figure. That's my view on the situation anyway.

Oh yes, About A Girl was one of the first songs I heard by them and absolutely loved the unplugged performance, so I will always remain especially fond of that. Also I just want to tell you I'm a Bowie fan too. Smile


I love the Michael Jackson photo frame you bought Donna, such beautiful pictures and one of his drawings in there too, he was very talented.
avatar
Summer

Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Donna.♥ on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:47 am

Thanks Summer Smile Did you say he drew that? Do you know if that was his actual drawing? I know it was his handwriting but I wasn't sure if he drew that coz it looked so perfect.. wow. OK add 'poet' and 'artist' to his list of professions now if he did. LOL.

There were a few to choose from and I ended up picking that one because of the poem he wrote (which double as the lyrics in his song 'Childhood') in his handwriting and I thought that was REALLY interesting. The poem goes:

"Before you judge me, Try hard to love me, Look within your heart then ask, Have you seen my childhood."

Sad

I don't really know anything about Nirvana so I'm not gonna pretend like I do. The only songs of theirs that I have are Smells Like Teen Spirit, About A Girl and Heart Shaped Box. But I've only ever really listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit... that's the only song I like. The other ones are OK I guess but I've never really been a fan.
avatar
Donna.♥

Age : 27
Location : Melbourne, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Summer on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 am

Donna.S2 wrote:Thanks Summer Smile Did you say he drew that? Do you know if that was his actual drawing? I know it was his handwriting but I wasn't sure if he drew that coz it looked so perfect.. wow. OK add 'poet' and 'artist' to his list of professions now if he did. LOL.

I know he used to draw and maybe paint and I know I've definitely seen it before, in a book or something. I'm sure he drew it. Smile

Donna.S2 wrote:There were a few to choose from and I ended up picking that one because of the poem he wrote (which double as the lyrics in his song 'Childhood') in his handwriting and I thought that was REALLY interesting. The poem goes:

"Before you judge me, Try hard to love me, Look within your heart then ask, Have you seen my childhood."

Sad

Have you heard the song 'The Lost Children' on his Invincible album? It's a beautiful song, the lyrics include...

"When you lay me down sleeping,
my heart is weeping,
because I'm keeping,
a place for all the lost children." Sad
avatar
Summer

Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Heather on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Nirvana suck!....just throwing in my opinion there cheers
avatar
Heather

Age : 28
Location : Edinburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Camm on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Nice knowing you lol.

You didn't confuse the English band that is named Nirvana for the Nirvana we were talking about have you?
From what I've heard the UK Nirvana were pretty good, they were very influential on the Who.
avatar
Camm

Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Heather on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm

naa i meant the kurt cobain grungy one...i just never liked em...not enough spandex and glitter for me afro
avatar
Heather

Age : 28
Location : Edinburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett Pass Away

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 :: News

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum